Skip to main content
  1. home
  2. Aged Care
  3. Guides and resources
  4. Common questions about aged care

Common questions

From basic odds and ends around the house to accompanying you on trips and vacations, we can assist you with our range of services.

From government funding to paying privately, there are a number of ways to pay for the services you need. If you would like to discuss your options further, please phone us on 1300 160 170 and we will be happy to assist. Otherwise, please refer to our funding options guide.

Australian Unity support workers have the relevant experience and qualifications and that they satisfy our rigorous reference and police checks. All of our team members are committed to providing the quality of service you would expect from Australian Unity. We want you to feel comfortable knowing you will have a friendly, reliable and trusted assistant.

The support and services Australian Unity provides are extremely flexible. You can always finish, change or add to your support plan at any time. The choice and control is entirely in your hands.

Once you have made initial contact with Australian Unity, one of our home services representatives will meet with you to assess your needs and discuss the services available. We will then provide you with a detailed support plan outlining everything discussed. If you are happy to proceed, we will get to work matching you with most suited Australian Unity team member, activities, timings and funding options.

There are various costs associated with entering, living in and leaving a retirement community. Here is a list of the most common:

  • Entry price: This is a single up-front payment, also known as an ingoing contribution. It’s similar to, but usually significantly less than, the purchase price of a similar residential property in the same area.
  • Ongoing fees: These are weekly or monthly payments that contribute to the running costs of the community. Think of them as you would body corporate fees when purchasing an apartment or ongoing maintenance costs in your own home.
  • The deferred fee: This is the amount that is paid by the resident when they leave the community and the property has been sold to a new resident. This is usually a percentage of the entry price and will be agreed upon by you and Australian Unity before you move in. The actual amount you pay will depend on a number of variables, such as the community you choose to live in, how long you live there and any capital gain or loss on your home.

Make sure you discuss these fees with a legal or financial adviser so you can consider them against your own financial situation.

For more information about the financial considerations of living in a retirement community, watch our useful video 

No, you do not need to pay stamp duty in Australian Unity retirement communities where you take a lease. This is a saving of tens of thousands of dollars.

Australian Unity Retirement Community homes are typically sold under a loan lease arrangement. For more information please email us at: or call us on: 1300 160 170

Residential aged care is the typical reference used for residential care services provided to those who can no longer live independently at home.

Depending on your financial situation, you may be asked to pay one or more of the following fees to cover your care:

  • Daily Care Fees
    All residents are expected to pay a Daily Care or Contribution to Care Fee. This equates to 85% of the single aged pension and covers your day-to-day living costs, including services such as meals, cleaning and some utilities.
  • Accommodation payments
    These costs apply to your accommodation expenses. The Commonwealth Government will subsidise some residents, whilst others will be required to pay an amount agreed with their aged care residence.

To keep things flexible, there are three main ways for you to pay:

  1. Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)
    • A lump sum paid upfront before you enter your residence.
    • A fully refundable remaining balance should you decide to leave.
  2. Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP)
    • A daily fee paid at set periods during your time in the residence.
    • This is based on the unpaid amount of your RAD, plus the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate (6.75% as of 1 January 2015).
  3. A combination of RAD and DAP
    • Pay a percentage upfront as a RAD and then pay the rest over a set period as a DAP.
    • The higher your RAD, the lower your DAP—the Maximum Permissible Interest Rate will be applied to the lower unpaid amount.

  • Means-tested care fee
    This is an additional contribution towards the cost of care that some people may be required to pay. The Department of Human Services will work out if you are eligible to pay this fee based on an assessment of your income and assets.

An Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) is made up of doctors, nurses and social workers, whose job it is to evaluate your care needs and make recommendations to help you get the services you need.

An ACAT Assessment is essentially your way to access aged care support. It is used to determine your eligibility for funding and to decide what level of care you require based on your circumstances and support needs.

To complete your assessment, you will need to contact My Aged Care, the Commonwealth Government body responsible for all aged care services.

You may have anyone present with you for the assessment, such as a carer or family member. If you wish, you can instruct your doctor to provide your medical history to the ACAT representative. These assessments are free.

Once you have completed your ACAT Assessment, you can contact your chosen aged care residence to organise a meeting and discuss your needs and financial options.

Please note, this is subject to availability and is based on your specific care needs.

Yes, the Commonwealth Government’s My Aged Care website and hotline are available to help you understand and navigate the process of accessing aged care services.

You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit

Yes, the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency accredits and monitors care standards in all facilities.

Accreditation is the formal recognition that an aged care facility is operating in accordance with the legislative requirements of the Aged Care Act 1997 and its amendments and is providing high quality care.

Respite is the typical reference used for temporary care of a person requiring care services.

To receive respite care in a Government funded facility, you must have an aged care assessment with respite approval. Once you have this, you will be able to claim up to 63 days respite per year.

Prefer to talk? Phone us
for a discussion.
We will respond as soon as we can.
Receive answers to frequently asked questions.