Beetroot and Vino Cotto salad
Celebrate the return to warmer climes with this delicious recipe from one of Australia’s best-known food personalities, Maggie Beer.
- 8 baby beetroot, leaves trimmed off
- sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup Vino Cotto*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 100g walnuts
- 125g rocket, young leaves
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil- for serving
* This product is available from good delis and supermarkets and is also part of Maggie's range of gourmet essentials. Call 1800 800 272 or visit maggiebeer.com.au to find your nearest stockiest.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Place the beets in cold water and add a teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain. Let the beets cool and remove the skins.
- Combine the Vino Cotto, extra-virgin olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt, to taste. Toss the beets in the dressing and place on a roasting tray. Roast for half an hour or until cooked through.
- Reduce the oven to 180°C and roast the walnuts for five minutes. While warm, remove the skins by rubbing with a tea towel.
- Combine the walnuts, rocket and baby beets and gently toss with the liquid left over from the beetroot roasting.
- Place onto the plate and top with the ogats cheese. Serve at room temperature with a final drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
Maggie's tip: Boiling beets can take a much longer time to cook than you think. Baby beets could take 15 to 40 minutes, while larger ones can take 40 minutes to an hour or more. Use timing as a guide only.
Recipes Maggie Beer. Photography Tony Lewis.
Information provided in this article is not medical advice and you should consult with your healthcare practitioner. Australian Unity accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of any of the opinions, advice, representations or information contained in this publication. Readers should rely on their own advice and enquiries in making decisions affecting their own health, wellbeing or interest.