The simple, useful way to avoid or reduce the gap.

 
Most Australian Unity Hospital Cover provides you with a simple way to sidestep or reduce gap payments*. Australian Unity’s Gap Cover is designed to reduce or remove your out-of-pocket costs. You can find doctors that participate in Australian Unity’s Gap Cover here . So why handover your hard-earned money to pay for procedures, when you don’t have to?

A simple explanation of gap payments.

The Australian Government sets a schedule of fees for all medical treatments called the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). When you have treatment as a private patient in a public or private hospital, Medicare pays 75% of the MBS fee. Australian Unity pays the remaining 25%. 

Sometimes, a doctor or specialist’s expenses are more than the MBS. The difference is known as the ‘medical gap’, and it’s an out-of-pocket expense you have to pay. 

Save on out-of-pocket expenses, that’s useful. 

Thankfully, Australian Unity has a simple way to reduce or avoid ‘medical gap’ payments. We set our own schedule of fees, which are generally higher than the MBS. So if your doctor or specialist agrees to participate in Australian Unity’s Gap Cover Scheme, we can pay for some if not all the gap. By having an arrangement with participating doctors, our members can limit or even avoid unexpected costs, giving you more certainty and less out-of-pocket expenses. 

Search for Australian Unity Gap Cover doctors here 

Need more information?

Understanding what your private health fund covers and what you have to pay for can be confusing. If you’d like more information, please call us on 13 29 39. One of our friendly customer service consultants will be happy to provide simple, useful answers to any questions you may have. 

* Gap Cover is not available on any of our Overseas Visitors Health Covers. Gap Cover only applies to the treatment of illnesses or conditions available under your health cover.