Finding the right fit
Whether living the single life or planning a family, playing injury-prone sports or leading a hectic life that calls for natural therapies, the many different health covers offered by Australian Unity are designed to suit the changing needs of our members – no matter what stage of life you’re at.
But how do you choose which health cover is suited to you? After all, health insurance can be confusing. Some offer a lot of cover for hospital visits, with very little extras; some appear inexpensive, but provide minimal cover; and others provide extensive cover – but not necessarily in areas suited to your needs.
We can help you compare what you get out of your health cover and not just the price you pay, by understanding what you currently use and are likely to use based on your age, family circumstance and health or fitness activities.
Choosing the best product for you
When assessing your health cover, consider the following:
Are you new to health insurance?
If you’re young and starting out in life, finances can be a little tight… you may just want the bare minimum of cover for unexpected accidents, plus a range of extras – such as remedial massage, physio and general dental – in which case, products like Care ‘n Repair or Smart Start may be the right fit.
Are you trying to save money?
If you’re fit and healthy and don’t foresee a hospital visit any time soon, you might consider switching to a higher excess – for example, from $250 to $500 – thereby reducing your monthly costs, but not your level of cover.
Are you planning to start a family in the near future?
If children are on the horizon, it’s important that you make sure your cover accommodates birth-related services – including midwifery – at least 12 months before you give birth.
What’s more, if you decide to switch to a family cover, you’ll also ensure your baby is covered for any medical treatments from the moment your little bundle arrives.
Have your children left home?
As an empty nester, you could consider switching to a level of cover that excludes pregnancy and birth-related services, though you may still prefer the security and reassurance of comprehensive hospital and extras covers.
Top tips for checking your cover
- Check that your hospital cover is still relevant using your Product Fact Sheet. Ensure you understand what is covered, what excess you are paying and what exclusions or restrictions apply to your chosen cover.
- Consider whether you need to pay for services you no longer need because of changes in your personal circumstances.
- Check your eligibility for the latest preventative health benefits, as you may be eligible for things you didn’t realise you could claim on.
- Check whether you have served all waiting periods.
- Check whether your benefits on certain extras items have increased over time and since your membership began.
Call us on 13 29 39 and ask us for a ‘Right Cover Check’ or visit australianunity.com.au to find out more.