Red Velvet Porridge
- 3 regular beetroot, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tsp cacao
- 90% bitter dark chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C.
- Wrap the beetroot in one sheet of foil and place on a baking tray, roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until knife pierces through flesh easily, set aside to cool.
- Remove pointy and root end of beetroot and peel away skin, pop in a blender with coconut milk and salt and puree until smooth. You now have a very versatile tasty puree.
- In a medium saucepan bring the oats to a boil with 1 1/2 cups of water, turn heat to low and stir until water evaporates and oats become creamy.
- Take off the heat and stir in 1 1/2 Tbsp spoons of puree, then stir in the raspberries, syrup (if using) and cacao. Pour into a bowl and finish with your favorite toppings.
Information provided in this article is not medical advice and you should consult with your healthcare practitioner. Australian Unity accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of any of the opinions, advice, representations or information contained in this publication. Readers should rely on their own advice and enquiries in making decisions affecting their own health, wellbeing or interest.