If you thought breakfast had to be boring, think again and try this delicious start to the day from Dan Churchill.
- 1 cup teff
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 tsp honey
- A pinch of salt
- Peanut butter (optional)
- 1 banana, sliced
- Add teff to a saucepan with 3 cups of water on high heat. Cover, bring to a boil and turn to low and allow it to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Bring to a low heat and add the coconut milk, cinnamon stick and dates. Cover, bring to a gentle simmer and take off the heat and allow the flavours to marry for 5 minutes.
- Strain the cinnamon stick and dates (both can be reused) and add the flavoured milk to the porridge gradually, stirring as you go to get your favourite desired porridge consistency.
- In a small frypan on medium high heat, dry roast your walnuts for 1-2 minutes or until they start to char and a beautiful nutty flavour comes through. Take off the heat and drizzle in the honey, stirring constantly. Transfer to a plate or a lined baking tray, sprinkle with salt and let them cool for 2 minutes (these bad boys can be transferred to an airtight container).
- Serve your wicked porridge into bowls, top with peanut butter, fresh banana, walnuts and honey. .
Hungry for more great recipes from Dan Churchill? Head to danielchurchill.com.au
Information provided in this article is not medical advice and you should consult with your healthcare practitioner. Australian Unity accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of any of the opinions, advice, representations or information contained in this publication. Readers should rely on their own advice and enquiries in making decisions affecting their own health, wellbeing or interest.